What is the Treasured Tree Program?
The Treasured Tree Program was established to bring attention and pay tribute to majestic, mature, and unique trees within the Township. Treasured Trees on private property must be visible to the right of way (roadway) and those on public property must exist in areas accessible to the public.
Residents are invited to nominate their tree by sending the VEC an email (VEC@Veronanj.org ) with your name, address, a contact number, the species of the tree, if known, and pictures of your tree. *The VEC may also contact residents to solicit nominations if they see a unique specimen on private property.
Once a tree is nominated and accepted into the program, a plaque will be ordered for your tree and it will be added to the growing list of celebrated trees. Do you have a Treasured Tree on your property? See the list below for the qualities necessary for nomination:
Trees inducted into the Treasured Tree Program must have the following qualities:
- The tree must appear to be in good health.
- The tree must be mature.
- The tree must have either of the following qualities:
- If a large shade tree, must have a diameter at point of measurement (d.p.m.) of 36″ or greater; an extraordinary tree as per §493 Tree Protection, Removal and Replacement.
- If a species that doesn’t grow to large proportions, must exhibit significant characteristics of its particular species.
- 10 Fairview Avenue (Norwegian Spruce)
- 11 Stonewood Parkway (Pin Oak)
- 14 Manor Road (Black Walnut)
- 21 Ann Street (Red Oak)
- 22 22 Chestnut Road (American Beech)
- 23 Brookside Terrace
- 26 Montrose Avenue (American Sweetgum)
- 42 Martin Road (Oak)
- 44 Mountain Road (Scarlet Oak)
- 66 Oakridge Road (Willow Oak)
- 82 Morningside Road (Japanese Maple)
- 132 Sunset Avenue (Sycamore)
- 125 Grove Avenue (Ornamental Cherry)
- 23 Montclair Avenue (Dogwood)
Best time of year to see the Verona’s Treasured Trees:
|42 Martin Road||Red Oak||Autumn|
|23 Montclair Avenue||Dogwood||April to early May|
|11 Stonewood Parkway||Pin Oak||Autumn|
|14 Manor Road||American Black Walnut||Autumn|
|132 Sunset Avenue||Sycamore||Autumn|
|10 Fairview Avenue||Norway Spruce||Year round|
|21 Ann Street||Red Oak||Autumn|
|FN Brown School||Ornamental Cherry||March to early April|
|22 Chestnut Road||American Beech||Autumn|
|66 Oakridge Road||Willow Oak||Autumn|
|44 Mountain Road||Scarlet Oak||Autumn|
|82 Morningside Road||Japanese Maple||Autumn|
|26 Montrose||American Sweetgum||Autumn|